The summer season always brings a healthy abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. I love to enjoy superfood berries all year round, but nothing can compare to when they are the way nature intended, plump and flavorful from the summer sun.
With a fresh mix of berries on hand and some pantry staples you can easily make this classic summer dessert with a healthier twist. My mom always has something sweet and decadent baking in the oven on the weekends by the river despite the summer heat. Her classic cobbler inspired this dish.
Mixed Berry Filling
- 3 c blueberries*
- 1.5 c raspberries*
- 2lb strawberries quartered*
- 3 cups cherries, pitted and chopped*
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder**
- 1 heaping Tablespoon honey***
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds-optional, but adds nutrients and texture
*you can interchange these berries to your preference
**you could use vanilla extract in a pinch, however the vanilla bean powder makes a world of difference, a better substitute would be to scrape the insides of a vanilla bean.
***vegan option substitute coconut palm sugar
This recipe has a little healthy fat, contains no refined sugar, is naturally gluten free and can easily be made vegan. The sweetness of the berries is enhanced by the aromatic vanilla bean powder and floral notes from the honey.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large mixing bowl add all of your prepared berries.
- Drizzle the honey and sprinkle the vanilla bean powder, gently stir to distribute.
- Add the berries to your baking dish and set aside
- To make the crumble combine oats, coconut palm sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl, stir to combine
- Add the crumble mixture plus the butter (or your choice of healthy fat) to a food processor
- Pulse a few times for the butter to mix in, don't over process you still want the oats in tact and not to become a powder.
- Crumble the mixture over the berries
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes until the berries are bubbling. Sprinkle with hemp seeds if desired.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or vanilla bean coconut cream