What is the big deal about Aluminum anyways?
Aluminum compounds are the active ingredient in your average deodorant brand. These compounds work to keep us smelling fresh in two ways….
- By plugging up your sweat ducts in order restrict the sweat flow. If the sweat won’t flow then you don’t have to worry about scaring away others with your stink or ruining your favorite shirt with unsightly pit stains. Not a cute look.
- They minimize body odor by inhibiting the bacteria that feed on your sweat hence causing your unpleasant smell.
Think about this though….. We sweat as a way for our bodies to release toxins. If we stop the sweat flow then we are ultimately trapping these toxins in our bodies. What the hell happens to the toxins then?
Well, because the armpits are so close to the lymph nodes and breasts the toxins can start to build up in this area. The build up of toxins over time could lead to cancer causing mutation of the cells - personally I’d take the occasional stank and pit stains over the threat of increasing my risk of cancer any day.
Luckily, you don’t have to choose because these days there is no shortage of natural alternatives. What can be a total bummer is the cash burnt buying a product that totally doesn’t work for you. Then your left feeling all like, “F*ck natural deodorant this shit doesn’t work.” That is why when I discover a good product I absolutely feel the need to share.
*This post is no way sponsored just sharing our love for a great brand and product*
Over the last month I have had the pleasure of discovering the great “new to me” natural deodorant brand, Shmidt’s. Intrepid Hearts had collaborated with a local Wholefoods back in October to do some product testing - you can read all about my love of the Whole body department- Here. Anyways, the Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium Deodorant was one of the products I was given to put to the test.
Let Me introduce you
Founded By A Badass Babe
In 2010 Jamie Schmidt set on her mission to “change the way people thought about deodorant." Starting out in the kitchen of her Oregon home, Schmidt worked to formulate a product that would align with her vision of creating innovative body care that would "benefit her family’s health.”
The company makes three different deodorant products…..
The Signature Stick Formula (like the one I got to product test), The Sensitive Stick Formula, and The Signature Jar Formula.
They have a great recycling program
If you use their signature jar formula you can save 5 empties, ship them back for free (to be sanitized and reused) , and the company will reward you with a free Deodorant of your choice. Cutting down on landfill waste whilst earning a freebie I’m sooo all about that life!
They Only Use The Good Sh*t
The company really cares about what ingredients they use to formulate their products. They pride themselves on "never cutting corners by avoiding controversial and filler ingredients their formulas.” Here is a list of the good stuff used in the Charcoal + Magnesium Stick.
- Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil
- Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil)
- Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax
- Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil
- Magnesium hydroxide
- Carbo activatus (activated charcoal)
- Natural fragrance
- Tocopherol (vitamin E; sunflower-derived)
Ok So Clearly Schmidt’s has everything going for it that Intrepid Hearts values….Made From Natural Ingredients, Made In The U.S., Cruelty Free, and Environmentally Conscious. But does it work?!?!?
I’ve been giving Shmidt’s a whirl for about three weeks now. I am 100% being straight up when I say that this stuff totally kicked ass for me. One of the first days I used the product I was running around New York with a fever all day and Schmidt’s kept me smelling fresh as daisy.
Here are my key take aways from using the product.
- I love the smell of their Charcoal + Magnesium Stick. It is not perfumie or heavy in anyway. This smell is totally gender neutral so you could potentially share it with your other half if you were feeling so generous.
- This stuff worked great but it isn’t oder kryptonite so be realistic about your expectations. Basically, if you apply at like 6 am, go to the gym at 8, sweat your ass off for an hour, and then don’t shower or bother to reapply deodorant prior to continuing on with the rest of your day then you could smell a tad ripe by 5pm. I think reapplying post sweat sesh is advisable no matter what deodorant you use.
- I have sensitive skin and even though I wasn’t using their sensitive formula my baby skin remained irritation free.
I’m sold! I can not wait to tray out their signature jar formula and their other scents.
Let’s stop screwing with our bodies detoxification process by clogging up our sweat ducts with Aluminum. Natural deodorants are out there and they do work. Thing is, much like dating sometimes you have to sweat through a few duds before you find the right one. Oh, and if you want more dets about my experience using Schmit’s, check out the 7 day Schmit’s Challenge that I posted on our IG story last week.