Healthy Pumpkin Roll
This pumpkin roll has all the spice and everything nice!
- Gluten Free
- Refined sugar free
- Dare I say healthy?
I had been CRAVING a healthy version of a pumpkin roll since October, but since I was moving and traveling I couldn't create one until now. Since I've been settled in to my new house this month I have already made this recipe twice to ensure I get it right.
I will say it's not quite right, looks-wise. I just can't seem to get the ROLL part of the pumpkin roll correct, BUT I do guarantee that despite this recipe not looking amazing it tastes INCREDIBLE!
I modified the version from Minimalist Baker to have even less sugar.
- 2 ripe bananas (to ripen bananas see video)
- 1 flax egg (3 Tablespoons ground flax + 6 Tablespoons filtered water)
- 3 T maple syrup
- 3 T melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/12 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2.5 cups water*
- 1 cup almond flour ( I also used coconut flour in a recipe, you might need more water for coconut flour because it is very absorbent)
- 3/4 c GF flour blend
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
Vegan Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 container Kite Hill Cream Cheese
- 1 can coconut milk-JUST the cream top (Chill coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight and scoop creamy top to use for the recipe, use coconut water in a smoothie or other recipe)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3-4 Tablespoons maple syrup (to your taste)
- 1 small pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper-make sure the baking sheet has a depth of around 1/2"
- Ripen bananas (If applicable)
- Make flax egg by mixing 3 Tablespoons of flax seed with 6 tablespoons of filtered water, set aside.
- Mash bananas, flax egg, maple syrup, vanilla and pumpkin together in a bowl
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and spices
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Add the gluten free flours and hemp seeds.
- Add remaining water 1/2 cup at a time to reach the right consistency. The batter should be pourable and not dry and tough to stir.
- Spread batter on parchment lined baking sheet to an even thickness.
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes.
- While the roll is baking mix up the cream cheese filling. Whisk cream cheese with creamy coconut top from the can. Add vanilla and maple syrup one tablespoon at a time adjusting for sweetness. Add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavors.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then roll up with parchment paper inside while it cools down to room temperature.
- Once pumpkin roll has cooled down carefully unroll and spread the cream cheese filling along the roll. The key (I think) is not to overstuff the cream cheese filling.
- Carefully roll up the roll (without parchment paper) and wrap with plastic wrap or preferably bee's wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 2-6 hours.
- Slice carefully and enjoy!
What's your favorite holiday treat? We can make a healthier version that's just as tasty!