Road Trippin! It can be fun, it can be boring, it can be breathtaking, it can be LOOOONNGG. I have made my way back and forth across the country and experienced all of the above. Yet I still jump into the car at any opportunity for some cross country adventures. The first time I drove across country from California to PA and took a slow southern route visiting friends and family along the way. It gave me a taste for the west coast and shortly after I ended up moving there! Meaning I had to get in the car again this time from PA to CA and we took the most direct route straight across the county... not so fun that time around.
I am going to create another post with great stops along the way whether you take the northern or southern routes and my recommendations. For now here are my tips for planning a road trip and essentials to survive on the road!
The road can be rough and with only truck stop gas stations and fast food/diners in between it can really mess with your digestion.
A Healthy Road Trip
My friend just told me there is a cooler that can plug into your car! I always bring a cooler of some sort or cooler bag where I can keep food for the road. Having snacks and juice in your car keeps you satisfied between stops and gives you time to hold out for a better food option if it's on your path. I also sometimes keep leftovers in the cooler...car hack: Heat them up on your dashboard where the sun is beating down. LOL..but seriously it kind of works...
- Hand Sanitizer
- Baby wipes-multi purpose!
- Paper towels
- Water out the wazoo
- Toilet paper
- Sunscreen-this is one of the more toxic things you can slather all over your body, make sure you have a safe brand before you get somewhere remote where they have bad options.
- Road Atlas-having a physical map to track your progress can be entertaining.
Healthy, Hydrating Snacks:
- Carrot Sticks
- Sweet Peppers
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Cut up melons (with rinds)
- Oranges / Clementines
- JUICE (cold pressed)-although you may be stopping for the BR more this is the best way to efficiently get nutrition in along the road!
- Jalpeño Cheese Puffs (my #1 guilty pleasure not healthy, but fun and non-gmo/rbgh free)
- Sprouted Hummus or Garlic Dip (In San Diego I got this every week from my homie at the Farmer's Market..it's addictive)
- Seaweed Chips
- Kale Chips
- Coconut Water
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Almond Butter
- Chia Packs-YASS so many chia snacks that will keep you full of omega 3s!
What to wear?
COMFORT is #1 , across the US I obviously like to go all out Americana in boots, jean shorts and T-shirts. Your road trip BFFs will be:
- layers-sweatshirts, flannels, jackets (western shirts)
- leggings-I live in leggings on the road
- DENIM- shorts, shirts, pants-keep it Americana!
- Vintage Ts and Tanks that are worn in and comfortable
- BOOTS- i liked to be buckled up in my boots to protect my feet from questionable scenarios
Keep it simple and casual. Save room in your bag in case you find a killer thrift store along the way! (My first road trip I found the most amazing vintage Versace jacket in San Diego worn in this post and it was my best find yet!)
How do you prepare for a road trip? Most of my Travel Tips translate over to a road trip. Essential oils are a must especially after a long day on the road. If you're camping under the stars be prepared and check out my festival camping checklist. Next up will be a little cross country action and some of my favorite places to stop along the way.